Spedit is a product for CMS users under any release of IBM Corporation's VM/ESA or zVM operating systems. Spedit is a utility program which allows simple display functions of the contents of the CMS user's spoolfiles. There is no large storage size or disk space requirement, so even large spoolfiles may be displayed.
Spedit provides an environment which appears similar to the system editor and uses familiar commands and PF keys. This greatly reduces the amount of time needed for a new user to become productive with the product.
Spedit is a single CMS module residing on a public mini-disk. Spedit loads itself as a CMS Nucleus extension to reduce overhead. There is a profile for PF key settings which may be on either the user's A-disk or on a public mini-disk. The spoolfiles are not disturbed in the VM spool space, but are displayed on the user's terminal in a read-only mode.
This organization removes any need of a large CMS machine size for operation and still allows the greatest utility in displaying spoolfiles. Due to control totals or error messages often appearing at the end of large files, it is most efficient to view the last page of a report before printing it. If it is determined that the file then needs to be printed, a single command will do so.
Most of the Spedit commands can be performed by a single PF key. Only the commands which require scanning a large portion of the file (such as locating a string which does not exist) involve any noticeable delay.
- Online HELP
- Powerful LIST Functions - List the contents of your reader, printer, or punch queues. Sort by Date, Origin, Name, Size, Class or Type. Spooling operators (CP Class D) may view/manipulate the contents of other users' queues.
- Assembler Coding - Spedit is 100% S/390 Assembler code. It is exceptionally fast.
- Dependable - Spedit only uses IBM documented, class G commands (except for spooling operator users) and does not rely on a server machine. Spedit has been serving VisionComm customers in Europe and North America since 1987.
- Disk Browse - Use Spedit's powerful functions to look at huge disk files, without reading the entire file into memory.
- View the last page as quickly as the first - Regardless of file size.
- Print or Save - Print or Save to disk, all or part of a spoolfile. Disk saves include the carriage control so reprints still come out as designed.
- View TAG data - Also, tag files while viewing them.
- View Carriage Control - Even if a data line has multiple positioning commands!
- User customizable - PF keys, PFK Info lines, colors. It's all in profiles.
- Supports CARD, NETDATA, ASCII - These compressed and multi-system file formats are displayable either in their native form, or interpreted.
- EXEC Interface - Use REXX execs to create Spedit macros to automate your tasks. Spedit passes variables to REXX for processing.
- Quick Reference Card - A "cheater" card is available with most of the Spedit commands on a single, 4-fold, cardstock page. They're free to customers!